How to Backup Text Messages and iMessages on iPhone 6/6s/7/8/X
How to backup messages on iPhone? Read this post to get a quick way to backup SMS text messages and iMessages on iPhone 6/6s/7/8/X.
This guide is also available in other languages: Deutsch Français
Text messages and iMessages on iPhone are important forms of communication with family, loved ones, friends and colleagues. Backing up your iPhone regularly is a good way to prevent data loss due to mistakenly delete, iOS update, jailbreak, or iPhone broken.
You can backup text messages on iPhone via iTunes or iCloud, but you should know that neither iTunes nor iCloud allows you to view the text messages on backup. You have no access to the text messages unless you restore your iPhone from the backup. So how to save text messages on iPhone to computer in a readable format? Besides iTunes/iCloud, we also introduce you an iTunes alternative to backup iPhone text messages to PC/Mac.
Part 1. How to Backup Text Messages/iMessage on iPhone to Computer
AnyTrans for iOS is one all-sided iOS data transfer and management tool, which can help you always put your important data like messages, contacts, photos etc. in the right place. Here are some outstanding features of it:
- You can preview and backup up All or Selected messages on iPhone to computer. Unlike iTunes & iCloud, you have no choice to decide which messages you want to backup.
- It also allows you to save text messages on iPhone to computer in pdf, txt, or html format, and you can view them anytime as you need.
- It will backup all the text messages, iMessages, SMS messages and all attachments like pictures, audios on your iPhone.
- We are not allowed to access iTunes/iCloud backup directly, but AnyTrans for iOS now provides you a way to view content in iCloud and iTunes backup. So you can view messages in iCloud & iTunes, and you can even download them to computer.
- You can also copy text messages from old iPhone to new iPhone X/8/7/6s.
- AnyTrans for iOS, developed by an Apple-trusted developer, is Norton, SSL and McAfee secured. It is a completely green software and we could guarantee you 100% security to your device and no information leakage would occur.
Why not free download it now and follow us to save messages to PC/Mac.
Step 1. Donwload, install and launch AnyTrans for iOS on your computer (PC/Mac) and then connect your iPhone to computer. (Take iPhone 8 as an example)
Step 2. Scroll down or click the tab to go to category management page, select Messages.
How to Backup Text Message/iMessage on iPhone 6/7/8/X – Step 2
Step 3. Preview and select conversations you want to backup, tap the To Computer tab to backup text messages on iPhone 6/7/8/X to PC/Mac computer.
How to Backup Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone 6/7/8/X – Step 3
Note: Before you click on To Computer button, you can also set the text message output format in Settings button (Here we take .html as an example). You can also choose the export & backup path.
Settings iPhone Text Message Backup Format
Step 4. After backup, you can move to the backup, you move to the backup path to check them now on your PC/Mac.
How to Backup Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone 6/7/8/X – Step 4
Note: Taking Lena.html as an example to check out.
View Text Messages/iMessages Backup
After finishing these steps, you don’t need to worry that your precious text messages disappear forever. Give it a shot and learn more about how to back up text messages on iPhone.
Part 2. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone with iTunes
When you back up your iPhone via iTunes on computer, the text messages will also be backed up, but as we said in the first part, you cannot view or read the messages in iTunes backup directly. Besides, iTunes backing up is long journey, because it backs the whole device up. And you cannot selective backup the items you want. So for a faster, and smarter operation, we recommend you move to Part One with a user-friendly tool.
Step 1. Open iTunes and plug in your iPhone to your computer. Click the device button.
Step 2. Under Summary, you will see your iPhone info. In the Backups section, click on Back Up Now. iTunes will start backing up your iPhone as well as text messages.
Backup Text Messages on iPhone with iTunes
If you tick the option of “Encrypt iPhone backup”, that is to say, you encrypt this backup. Please notice that you’ll be not allowed to unlock the backup if you forgot iTunes backup password, so, keep it in mind firmly.
Part 3. How to Backup Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone to iCloud
You can also back up your iPhone including text messages and iMessages to iCloud. This can be done on your iPhone directly.
Step 1. Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi network.
Step 2. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on. Tap Settings > iCloud > Backup.
Step 3. Tap Back Up Now. You can also stop it by clicking the Cancel Backup option.
How to Save Text Messages on iPhone to iCloud
For this method, you need to know that:
- Just like iTunes, iCloud also backup the whole device, instead of selectively choosing data types. So it will be very time-consuming, and not user-friendly.
- iCloud backup also requires your iPhone charging and connecting to WiFi, and then it will start backing up.
So base on these annoying issues, we recommend you move to Part One with an easier tool.
You May Like:
The Bottom Line
If this article helps you to backup your text messages on iPhone, don’t forget to share it with more friends. And any questions or problems, don’t hesitate to leave them in the Comments Section.